It’s autumn yet again. I can’t believe how fast this year has gone by! It’s crazy. Where I live, autumn equals sweaters, loads of tea, warm and hearty food. It’s super windy here and tbh I think it rains almost every day 👎🏼 Not very nice. I’m a person who loves sunshine and the warmer weather, but no more complaining.
I make this risotto every autumn/winter, because it’s like a warm comforting hug from the inside. Yeah, it really is😂 It’s also deliciously cheesy (Thank you nutritional yeast 😃) And it’s filled with good and healthy vegetables. What more could you want from a meal?😉
INGREDIENTS Serves 2
- 1 cup pearl barley (or risotto rice, jasmin rice, basmati rice etc.)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1,5 cups vegetable broth
- 12 tbs nutritional yeast
- 10 small mushrooms (chopped)
- 10 small asparagus stalks (cut into 3 cm pieces)
- 1/2 cup peas
- Optional: 1/2 cup vegan parmesan
- Cracked black pepper
- bring pearl barley, soy milk and vegetable broth to a boil and let it simmer for 40 minutes. Remember to stir once in a while!
- while waiting for the pearl barley to cook, blanch the asparagus for three minutes and fry the mushrooms until golden brown
- after 40 minutes add asparagus, mushrooms, black pepper, nutritional yeast, peas and parmesan to the pot with the pearl barley. Stir well
- serve with some extra vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast